A Look Inside My Search

In a search for answers to the woes in my life, I found God. The truth that lies in knowing God for myself, placed me on a quest for peace. While on this journey, I have discovered that there are others seeking this truth also and that I can help. I have a Doctor of Ministry degree from Catholic Theological Union, not to rise above anyone, but to better serve everyone. I am on a journey towards peace, speaking truth that opens people up to God.

31 March 2009

Desert to Dessert

Everyone seems to make room for dessert. Whether dessert is jell-o, a slice of pie, a scoop of ice cream, a piece of chocolate, etc., very seldom do we turn dessert away. Truth be told, many of start our meals with dessert. Not willing to wait til the end of a meal, we move the good stuff up front. In keeping with moving the good stuff to the front, I want to challenge us to move into the desert before we celebrate Easter (dessert).

By spending some time in the desert, we allow the barrenness to lay bare/expose our barriers, weaknesses, frailties, faults, etc., so that we may better deal with them. The desert helps us to strip away defenses and masks that would otherwise have us lying to ourselves, others and God. In a big way, the desert serves to detox our spiritual self, removing from us the impurities that inhibit the taste buds, thereby dulling the magnificent taste of the dessert.

Create a desert for yourself. Don't make it the traditional one (heat, sun, dryness) if those things bring you comfort. But chose the space that makes you uncomfortable, that propels you into vulnerability. Sit quietly for at least 15 minutes meditating in that place. Seek to purge your spirit of obstacles and barriers. Open yourself to the possibility of a new you.

Then you don't have to make room for dessert. You will already have room.

No comments:

Post a Comment