A Look Inside My Search

In a search for answers to the woes in my life, I found God. The truth that lies in knowing God for myself, placed me on a quest for peace. While on this journey, I have discovered that there are others seeking this truth also and that I can help. I have a Doctor of Ministry degree from Catholic Theological Union, not to rise above anyone, but to better serve everyone. I am on a journey towards peace, speaking truth that opens people up to God.

01 October 2009

Worry Prayer

At the 2009 Catholics on Call Partners Conference last week, Bishop Morneau asked, "How do you keep prayer from being worry in the presence of God?" I contemplated that question for several days. Not like it was a new concept or anything, for I had heard long ago that if you're going to pray, don't worry and if you're going to worry don't pray. But this time the question was posed in a way that made me pause. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized how often I've NOT been in dialogue with God about something -- I'd actually been spewing words of worry and concern, not praising God and seeking God's counsel.

To be in the presence of God and not allowing it to turn to worry is really not that difficult. I found that all I really needed to do was go to God without an agenda and a list of demands. Now don't get me wrong, I do still believe that I should ask God for that which I seek, but I also need to bend and bow to God's will. To enter into God's Gates with thanksgiving helps me understand right away what my focus should be...Kingdom building.

Funny thing that we just seem to forget, we can do nothing apart from God. When we sin we take God with us. God doesn't sin, but God is not separate from us either. That's like having your mother standing next to you while you're doing something you know you shouldn't. Ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment