A Look Inside My Search

In a search for answers to the woes in my life, I found God. The truth that lies in knowing God for myself, placed me on a quest for peace. While on this journey, I have discovered that there are others seeking this truth also and that I can help. I have a Doctor of Ministry degree from Catholic Theological Union, not to rise above anyone, but to better serve everyone. I am on a journey towards peace, speaking truth that opens people up to God.

24 September 2008

Young Adults

A great deal of the work I do is with young adults. I'm convinced that if anyone needs help on this journey to peace it's young adults who are at the crossroads of so many decisions. I wrote an article to speak to the things that plague this generation and what the Church's response should be. Take a look. Let me know what you think.

http://www.churchmagazine.org/issue/0809/cen_millennial.php

3 comments:

  1. As you (accurately) describe them, timone, these young adults pose a massive challenge to the Church, a challenge which the hierarchical leadership has not, in my view, begun to come to terms with. Your description helps me understand why a few of my students are knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the Church, but the great majority remains skeptical. I need to do more thinking about the content and strategy of my teaching in order to reach more of them - not to convert them, certainly, but to show them that the Church does have something valuable to offer them.

    I think, too, that we desperately need another Pope like Paul VI - not the Paul VI of Humanae Vitae, but the one who decided to choose as bishops those priests who had already shown that they had the respect and even the love of the people whom they served. So long as pastoral leadership is imposed from the top down, the Church is going to have major credibility problems with the generation that you describe so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm convinced that change relies on those of us who are willing to grate against the status quo. Form is not the key to building the Kingdom of God. Our personal relationships are. How many people have gone before us, grating against the system of Church, were able to elicit change? And now we call them saints or doctors of the Church. My conviction that Christ lives in me moves me forward to seek the change necessary for the sake of others, especially young people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect that we'd agree, timone, that reform is not an either/or deal. Converted hearts and viable structures (or forms, as you say) are both needed. I'm thinking here of John XXIII without whom there would have been no Vatican II (or maybe it would have come much later, if at all) and of John Paul II whose episcopal appointments leave, shall we say, much to be desired.

    ReplyDelete